To play the game
Gather the kids in a circle and sit down. At the beginning, it is the teacher who has no space for her/himself in the circle.
The teacher is walking around the circle and chanting 'walking, walking...' while observing the kids. At one point she/he chooses one child and calls out his/her name. The child stands up and the teacher calls to him/her: RUN!
The child runs after the teacher and the teacher runs towards the emptied spot that was left behind in the circle. When the teacher reaches the empty spot, she/he occupies it. It is the child who is without the seat now, so he/she starts walking around the circle (optional: chanting walking, walking...). At one point the child calls out another name, the teacher encourages both children by saying 'RUN BOTH OF YOU!' .... and the game continues.
- All the players run in the same direction.
- The aim is to occupy the empty space ASAP. The one who remains without a seat continues the game.
- 'Walking' can be changed for any other movement and can even change during the same game.
- Children can have flashcards of the words they need to memorise. Instead of calling out the name, they call the objects. The flashcards do not move their positons, only children do!
- And mind the articles! If the child calls out 'apple' instead of 'an apple', the child with the object 'an apple' does not stand up and keeps his/her seat.
- Also, if the child does not recognise his/her object and the one calling it gets to him/her before the child stand up, the one with the object loses his/her seat and continues the game.
- Levels of the game:
- L1 - flashcards type A - with the word and the picture.
- L2 - flashcards type B - with the picture facing upwards. The word (the back of the card) can be looked at (if needed).
- L3 - flashcards type C - picture only.
- L4 - flashcards type C - a word only.